Friday, January 4, 2013

Day 4 - Baby steps

Well, we have a few days under our belts now. I can honestly say I haven't purchased one thing that I did not need. I even went to the local big box store for a few necessities and only bought the four things I went there for, and I had a coupon for one of them! Yep. I'm awesome.

I did purchase some things today at the grocery store that I do not have an immediate need for. I'm trying to rethink my buying strategies. I swear I should live in Europe, as I always purchase the groceries that I will need for the next day, everyday. Normally, at about 2 pm I start thinking about what I want to make for dinner that evening. I think about if we need milk, butter, lunch items, etc. or not, and then I go procure my short list. On the first of the month, I sat down and thought about what food I already had in the house and managed to come up with a meal plan for the next 5 days. I only needed a few items to round the meals out, so I went and got those. Then last night I was looking over the "3 Day Sale" flyer for my local grocery store. They had 3 rolls of Bounty paper towels on sale for $3.77 and I had a 25 cent off coupon. The paper towels I usually buy are $2.97 for two rolls, so this deal combined with the coupon is savings in the long run. Now I'm rethinking my paper towel usage all together, but that's a topic for another day. While at the grocery store I noticed some other pretty good deals, $0.69 frozen vegetables. I bought 8 bags. Garlic bread was 2 for $4.00, I bought two. These are things I will use eventually and is savings in the long run. See how my thinking is starting to evolve?

My next big step in the right direction is coupons that I can print at home. I am currently waiting, waiting and waiting for a new computer to be delivered. I ordered it well before Christmas and it finally supposed to arrive on Monday. I am currently typing this post on a Chromebook, which does not have an operating system which supports the "coupon printer" programs needed to print the darn coupons. Can I say "coupons" one more time? Geez. Anyhow, I think once I am able to scour the Internet for the savings I will in fact, be saving.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment